Wednesday, April 02, 2008

October Update

This has been a busy past few months, but blessed in so many ways. I have seen the birth of a new member of the Cady family, practiced the gifts of teaching and pastoring, taken part in a baptism of five Christian brothers and sisters, been voted into the office of church elder, and helped with a successful music outreach.





Nathaniel Nicholas Cady was born on September 1st of 2007. He was born healthy and he and Rosemary both recovered quickly. Everyone is now adjusting to their new lives and roles. Nathaniel has had a cold the past few weeks and so has not been as happy as he could be, but he seems to be enjoying things about the world he is now discovering. Nick and Rosemary are very proud of his new found ability to keep his eyes focused and the desire he now shows to reach out and touch his mobile. I was able to spend some time with him and even hold him. It’s one of the few times I have been able to hold a baby that is so small. He is such a blessing and I can’t wait to begin teaching him things like sticking his tongue out and crossing his eyes on purpose!


We were blessed to have a baptism this last month and it was such a great time. So many people came out to see the baptism and witness five of our church members as they braved the cold waters around Eger to show their commitment to Christ. What is great is that two of them were from the English Camp outreaches and four of them were from the youth! I was a little worried that the weather would be too cold, but God, being rich in mercy and abounding in grace, gave us a beautiful day. The best part for us was that the water wasn’t very cold at all. Nick and I were even joking towards the end that we should all go for a swim or something. Praise the Lord!


This last weekend we received another team from Vajta, who helped us put on an outreach in the town. We have noticed that the most successful thing for us is a music outreach with evangelism and testimonies. The people get drawn in by the music, then interested by the Gospel skit, then we give them the testimonies and Gospel presentation. Even if they don’t come to believe, they are learning what we are about and coming to realise we are not some whacko cult or something. This is, by far, better then what many of them think of us right now. The most common mistake we hear is that people think we are Hari Krishna, which is a big problem because they are a very big presence in this town and most people don’t like them. So, through outreaches like last week’s and word of mouth, we are slowly showing who we are and correcting the mistaken ideas about us. It’s a lot of work, but worth it.

This weekend’s outreach had some technical problems, unfortunately, and it was really cold, but it was a definite success! Three people prayed to receive the Lord and quite a few others took the time to stay with us the entire time and enjoy the music and conversation. We also began giving out new tracts that were translated from Joe Smith’s company www.zealotwear.com. They were well received and produced some interesting conversations. We are looking forward to using them more in the future and even increasing our use of tracts in evangelism and outreaches in the future.


This last month has been a month of goodbyes also. Two families moved elsewhere
this month and really changed the dynamics of our fellowship. One, the Kovács family,
are dear friends of mine. They have now settled into their new home in the suburbs of
Budapest and are enjoying the new work that God has for them there. I pray that they
would find success and joy in their new location. The other family is one of our elders, Bernie, and his wife, Marika. It’s been a real blessing having their example of a Godly couple in the church. Bernie is starting a job in Germany and so will only be able to visit us once a month now. I am praying that He and Marika both adjust to the new surroundings and culture and are blessed with a Spirit-filled fellowship to become a part of.

Also, our church held it’s first, official, founding meeting on September 23rd! There we voted in the church bylaws, selected the elders, and signed the official documents to be a government recognized church. I was blessed to be nominated and voted in as one of the church elders. I pray I am up to the task and able to handle the responisibility with wisdom and grace.

Next week marks the beginning of my trip home for Thanksgiving and my sister Shawna’s wedding. I am excited to see as many of you as I can as well as enjoy my favorite places around town. If you are interested in joining me or would like to visit while I am in town, please let me know. I would like share, in person, all the great things God is doing here and even some future opportunities. Thanks again all of you for your support and prayers. I couldn’t be doing any of this without you and I pray that God is blessing you as much as He has been blessing me in this time. I know He will remember your faithfulness and commitment to the work here and you will, by no means, loose that reward. God bless!

Personal Growth
“See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; ”
Colossians 2:8-10

This past month I have been attempting to deepen my understanding of systematic theology and the reasons we believe what we believe. It has been an interesting journey, but I almost forgot the most important thing in the process; Jesus. It’s so easy to get lost in the technical parts of the faith and spend all your time finding new interesting arguments or defenses for it, but if we are doing it for anything other then the glory of God, we are wasting our time. Jesus is the reason we, as Christians, live, move, and have our breath. As soon as we forget that, we become no better then any other person hawking philosophy on the street corner. Our faith is about a person, not an ideal. Our faith is about a relationship, not a set of rules. Our faith is about love, not laws. Jesus is our all in all. I pray we all keep our eyes on Him and follow Him no matter what.

Prayer Requests
● Worship Team – Please pray for the team in my absense that they would help Nick be prepared and set up on time and that they would continue growing in the Lord and in their
abilities.
● Finances – I have received an offer to begin training as a part time English teacher. It won’t be more then 15 hours a week, but they have offered me free training, free Hungarian
lessons, and a decent wage. Not only that, but it opens the door to future opportunities as I will be equiped to go anywhere and work in the world.
● Rémy – He is now back home in France. Pray that he continues to seek the Lord and that He would find Godly brothers and sisters near him.
● Szilvi – She has been really growing in her faith, even in the face of opposition from her family and friends. Pray that her family would come to understand that they do not need to
fear Christianity and that her friends would see the changes in her life as good, not strange.
● Nick and Rosemary – That Nick would not be stressed while I am gone and that the church would help him out. Also, there are some people from Vajta who would like to come and help him for a weekend. Pray that it would come together and he would be blessed in that time.
● Nathaniel – That he would continue to grow healthy and let his parents get more sleep at night. Also, that he would grow up to be a mighty man of God, filled with His Spirit, and focused
on His will and plan for His life.

No comments: